Over the last couple of days I built the set of straight grain Fir oars for my grandson’s boat. It is now finished. Cabeb is three. He should be a full blown skipper by the time he’s ten :-).
Sunday morning, I spent about 30 minutes doing a little detailing. After turning the boat upright I drilled 4 5/8″ holes, 2 in the bow for the bow painter and 1 on each side of the upper portion of the midship bulkhead. These two holes will be used to attach fenders and for side tying…
Saturday, I spent 1 1/2 hours sanding the hull with 220 grit and applied the 3rd and final coat of paint. Once the paint set (about 3 hour after application) I pulled the masking tape and applied another coat of varnish to the transom.
Friday morning I spent one and a half hours sanding the first coat of topside hull paint with 120 grit and applied the 2nd coat. Tomorrow I’ll sand the hull with 220 grit and apply the 3rd coat. Then later that same day remove the making from the transom and apply the 2nd coat of…
Thursday. This morning I spent 3 hours fairing the hull and then applying the first coat of hull paint.
Late yesterday I took a few minutes and fit the skeg. This morning I spent a couple of hours sanding off the high spots then applying a coat of West 410 fairing compound. Then I quickly put a coat of varnish on the transom.
Tuesday, today I spent 4 hours prepping the hull and covering it with 2 layers of 6oz glass cloth. Then saturating the cloth with MAS epoxy. Later this evening I will fix the skeg.
Sunday morning, I spent a couple of hours masking off the edges of the marine ply and painted a dark green pinstripe. Here are a few photos.
Saturday, I spent a couple of hours sanding all the brightwork and then painting it with a coat of varnish.
Friday, I worked three hours this morning removing all the clamps then fairing and filling all of yesterday’s woodwork. Here are a few photos.